something


Everyone must leave something behind when he dies, my grandfather said. A child or a book or a painting or a house or a wall built or a pair of shoes made. Or a garden planted. Something your hand touched some way so your soul has somewhere to go when you die, and when people look at that tree or that flower you planted, you're there. It doesn't matter what you do, he said, so long as you change something from the way it was before you touched it into something that's like you after you take your hands away. -Ray Bradbury


I read this today and immediately was drawn to how simple yet powerful & true it is.  Lately all I've been craving is to live a meaningful life and this came at a good time.  This year has been like nothing I can remember experiencing as far as personal change goes.  I'm surprised daily by the way my thoughts and intentions have been evolving and causing this new growth in my own foundation.  

I'm the kind of person that gets sick to my stomach when the subject of death comes up, but this change has me feeling a little more at ease when I think of it in a new way such as living a meaningful life rather than dwelling on an inevitable end.  The time we have here is so very very precious and I just want to make sure what I'm doing (although I know not life changing) is something I'm proud of.  Its so easy to get wrapped up in all the things that everyone else is doing and let my own day pass me by and who's to say there's anything wrong with that, but I know when its all said and done- living through someone elses life does nothing for me so this little mark I can make, I want to find it.

No comments: