Lovely DIY Designs (wk 6)

Whoa! I almost missed this! 2 days late is better then nothing, right???
Ok so no laughing at this project, my game is off this week!



If you are new here, then check out this link
to see what this project is all about!


Now first I would like to say that I have no illusions of being a graphic artist, 
I do not use photoshop (i know right?!) or InDesign or anything fancy.. 
I would also like to say I made this at 5am while watching informercials =) 

Anyways I found this print via an adorable etsy shop Rooted in Paper and because 
I would never ever copy a print (shame on people who do) I just decided to be inspired and
make my own little version via picnik... now don't laugh ok!!!


First I googled "OREGON" because, thats where I live (lol)
then I loaded a photo I found into picnik


Next up I needed to do a stitched outline,
 so I made some dashes in the text menu and placed where needed.
I also had to make a few custom ones that I could move around because some in the straight light
wouldnt work.. now if I lived in a state like Wyoming or Colorado it would have been easier!


So get those stitches (aka dashes) where you want them!


Next up start the design, now about 1/4 of the way into this I said 
"hahah yeah right i'm not spelling a word"
So I opted for a little circle doo-dah!


I just went where the dashes took me, tossed in a heart and Booya! 

Obviously no where near as cute as the original, but this is my version.
Now people calm down I have no intentions of opening a print shop, I know you want to jump 
all over the things I can do with photos.. but I have to stick to the headbands! =)

Stay tuned next week, because I bet Gina will rock this feature of ours! 

12 comments:

  1. This is so cute!! This will be the perfect thing to add to the art wall Im trying to put together on a budget! I'm not a graphic artist at all either so thanks for making this really simplified :)

    Annika
    A Sweet Release

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never would have THOUGHT to use dashes in the text feature to make this. Awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I don't think I could make one that cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did great!! It's the inspiration that counts, right? I think you definitely pulled that off!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looove it! I am going to make one :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG awesome job! I love this!!! I might just do something like that! LOVE this feature btw!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use picnik all the time, but have never thought about using it for something so cute! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is awesome! I would love to try this out, but I live in AK. Have you ever seen the shape of that state?! Way too many wiggly lines and islands for my patience Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this! i'm so inspired that you don't use photoshop. I'm a picnik & picasa girl myself and have to make do, but usually it works out well. LOVE this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you are so clever for using the dash symbol, never would have guessed... I made my own (on picnik aswell... hehe)You can check it out here...
    http://jar-of-feathers.blogspot.com/2012/02/stitched-back-home.html

    ReplyDelete